Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Random Act of Kindness


Melissa used to be my sons preschool teacher. She was wonderful and loved working with the children. A few months into the school year she suddenly decided to stop working at the preschool for some very personal reasons. We were all so sad to hear that she wouldn't be around anymore as the kids really loved and missed her, but wished her well.
A few months after she left my husband told me she had come by the pharmacy looking for work. She ended up telling him why she left the preschool and that she feels ready to try something completely new. She was placed in the cosmetics dept. and is a wonderful employee for us now!!
We have run into each other quite a bit and she always asks how my little guy is doing in preschool. I tell her it's not the same, and we really aren't too happy with it in general. Upon hearing that she one night turned up at my house with all her Montessori manuals, she also had written out a bunch of work book ideas to do with my youngest to keep him going with where she left off. This girl is a real sweetheart.
One night as we were out for supper I commented to her how good she smelt and asked what perfume she was wearing. She told me and said she thought it may be discontinued which was too bad because she really like it also.
This morning before my husband left for work he said Melissa gave me a gift for you. So I went into his bag to retrieve it, and it was a new bottle of that perfume. I was and am so shocked! I will be calling her later to thank her for being so kind to me.
I have some perfume on now and I'm loving how it smells, and every time I smell this scent I will remember her and her thoughtfulness.

3 comments:

Bijoux said...

That is a really cool story!

flutterby said...

What a sweetheart she is!

It's so rare to go out of one's way for others. I know that this story inspired (and "Guilted") me into looking at my own actions, or lack thereof where other people are concerned.

Deep thoughts, girl.

I'm sure you are smelling delish, too!! A nice pick me up while we wait for spring. :)

JodyJ said...

Cocotte- It is a nice story, one I will remember forever!

Flutter- You know it made me think too. It really is amazing how going out of your way and surprising someone with some kindness truly impacts someone. I know I challenge you to get creative, do something you normally wouldn't do and blog about how it made you feel. I will do it too. Let's say by next week it has to be done and we can all read about it!!!!!

Followers