Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Love Dare


I had watched a review of 'Fireproof' on Dr.Phil this past summer. I would venture to say that once I realized Kirk Cameron was the lead actor in the show, and that it had a religious element to it, I sort of disregarded it. I had seen previous work by Kirk Cameron in the Left Behind series and wasn't too impressed. I thought this show would be poorly acted and maybe a bit cheesy.
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. I laughed and cried and felt convicted while watching this struggle that went on between a man and his wife. The selfishness and bitterness that had festered in this relationship had me looking at myself, wondering where I might harbour the same feelings.
No marriage is perfect and sometimes it's so easy to keep record of the other persons rights and wrongs. To see what is lacking, all the short comings can be all we focus on, and yes some grievances are legitimate and maybe some of his are also.
I think what I really learned from this show is in the end disappointments will come in life. People will always let us down in one way or the other, spouses included. It's so easy to let arguments take over, issues about who did what to whom and why, we can go around in circles asking ourselves how did we get here, how do we get off this merry go round of accusation and find a solution? How do we find peace?
This movie points out that to give love, we first have to receive love from God. To know that we are loved in our weakest state, to know there is forgiveness for all our mistakes.I'm not a preacher, I'm not trying to preach, but I feel like I had a bit of a revelation tonight.
My marriage has it's ups and downs, things can feel overwhelming sometimes, finger pointing happens and it never solves anything because whether it be the next day, the next week or in a few weeks I will disappoint my husband yet again, and he me. At which point do we start our finger pointing yet again, have another argument, yet again? It's exhausting and futile.
Perhaps not going to that place of judgement and instead walking in understanding and forgiveness. To crush down that first instinct to become offended and defensive to embrace loving that person. Wow even writing this is hard because it so goes against what some of my first instincts are. Maybe that's a good thing....
Have I reached a new level of Zen in my life?? HARDLY!! This will be going against myself in such a harsh way I may have a half chewed up tongue from biting it so hard when all I want to do is assert myself and my rights to my spouse.
All I know is finger pointing, and listing off eachther's faults and shortcomings isn't working. Maybe walking in love, working it out with forgiveness sprinkled with a healthy portion of grace will work.
Fireproof is a movie worth watching, the acting isn't the best, but it has one of the best messages I've seen in a movie in a very long time.
Here is a trailer for the movie...

5 comments:

Bijoux said...

How ironic! I just ordered the Love Dare book from the library yesterday. I haven't seen the movie but I'm with you about the Left Behind series. (Although I have to say, I always loved Kirk on "Growing Pains").

I also found that finger pointing doesn't seem to do much good in a marriage. After a couple of decades, I've found the most effective defense is a good offense. I try to love my spouse as God loves him - overlooking his faults and giving him second chances, just as I hope he will always do for me.

JodyJ said...

Cocottee- That's neat that you are getting the Love Dare book, I have read great things about it and the good changes it has brought about.
If you get a chance you should watch the show, and I agree with you about liking Kirk Cameron, I had posters on my wall of him!

Anonymous said...

Our church obtained the rights to show the movie and did a free showing of it the day after Valentines to a packed house. We'll probably be showing it again as the rights are good for a year.

I was truly impressed by the movie, the message is so clear. It doesn't matter how or even if your spouse responds, just do it. Show the love, treat your spouse well and expect nothing. Good stuff.

If anyone wants a romantic getaway to 'sunny' 'warm' Binghamton I'll let you know when the next showing is!

Bijoux said...

Our church did that the day before Valentine's Day too, Xavier. We didn't go as we already had dinner reservations and I always think it's more important to spend time alone with spouse, given the opportunity.

I'm on a waiting list for the book, but if I really like it, I'll post about it in my blog.

JodyJ said...

Xavier- I agree it had a very clear message, one we are still discussing as a couple.

Followers