Sunday, March 22, 2009

My bags are packed


Last night I packed my bags for the impending hospital visit I will be making any day now. In someways it's hard to believe it's been almost 9 months already, but in most ways it has felt like years. I feel ready to have this baby and I am so excited it's going to be a girl. The nursery is ready, well almost I have a little stencilling to do yet, but all the baby clothes have been washed in Ivory soap, newborn diapers have been purchased and all I can manage to do while I wait is put my swollen appendages up and blog about stuff.
The other day a girlfriend of mine was over for coffee with her little boy. Now this friend of mine is in no way an extremist, she has genuine concern over her family's health and what products she chooses to bring into the home. I started asking her questions about certain skincare products and where in our little village I could find some organic baby products.
You know how it is when you look back at a conversation and wished you'd never started it to begin with.. that is how I am feeling right now. Ignorance really is bliss until that little bubble of denial is popped and you know you couldn't make yourself forget if you tried.
We had a conversation about all the chemicals in kids and baby products and she left me with a short list of chemicals to look out for. Now me, being curious, went online trying to find some reputable web sites on the subject and found out things I wish I hadn't.
Baby steps is what I am telling myself right now, it's overwhelming to think that just about every skincare product you like is potentially ridden with cancer causing chemicals. I don't like fear mongering and don't want to pass that on to anyone, but it really makes you wonder why we are so sick, cancer is on the rise, and maybe our old granny's had it right by using castile soap for everything. I wonder....
Needless to say I need to start checking labels, and finding out what all those fancy, unpronounceable words are on the back of my shampoo bottle.

9 comments:

flutterby said...

OK, brace yourself cause I have to break out into song (albeit a bit modified)...

"Oh, your bags are packed, you're ready to go. They're standing there beside the door..."

I'm so excited for you. Can't wait to hear the news that things are moving and grooving and on their way!

Definitely is a good thing to check into products. Sometimes it is really overwhelming, though, to think of all the chemicals we come into contact with everyday.

WAUGDAI said...

Oh this is exciting! Hey, check your facebook - I sent you a msg there! What kind of baby organic products are you looking for?

Bijoux said...

Sometimes I just want to stick my head in the sand about all the organic vs. chemical stuff!

Bags packed means you are ready to go! WOOT!

JodyJ said...

Flutter- i will call you once things start progressing!

Waugdai- the search is still on for organic baby products, I've thought of Burt's Bee's for babies but the wash contains SLS.... too bad!

Cocotte- I want to stick my head in the sand right beside you... too much information!!

WAUGDAI said...

K, ignorance prevails here, what are the boo's not desired and in what products? What are you looking for?

JodyJ said...

Waugdai- pretty much anything you cannot pronounce I don't want. I actually found a product called earthsafe, and it's found in my little windy city.

WAUGDAI said...

What about Baby Bee? It's found here at old fashioned foods...

JodyJ said...

Baby Bees, well I have looked at Burt's Bees and some of their stuff is alright, but the baby wash has SLS- the foaming agent- in the baby wash. SLS has been linked to cancer, it's in everything we use practically. Toothpaste, shampoo, etc... very scary. You know there are few regulations when it comes to skin care, you should google some of the names you see on the back of your skin care products, terrible and so toxic. We are really trying to clean house on our end. Even is something says órganic' doesn't mean it's safe. They use alot of synthetic perservatives which aren't good for us either. Another one to look out for are parabens... linked to breast cancer, in lots of hair products and used to increase longevity of product on the shelf. Oh I could go on and on, I have been reading soooo much and the more I find out the more I am throwing products out. You wonder why we are all sick these days... don't even get me going on cosmetics... LOL

WAUGDAI said...

It is a bit overwhelming - I know. I'm daily learning on this new pilgrimage I've embarked. WOW! One step at a time. Hence why I'm asking you what you're seeing as no no's. ;-)

Followers