Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Big Love


I first watched this show about a year ago. It is a strange program about a man with plural wives. Now I am not for plural marriage, but watching these three very different women cope with living together as sister wives is like a car crash, you know you shouldn't watch but you can't help yourself. I think the dynamic between these three ladies really makes the show. You have the first wife, Barb, who is like a mother to all the other sister wives. Responsible, level headed and a peacemaker. The second wife, Nikki, is jealous, conniving and hates injustice. Then there is the third wife, Margene, who is the youngest of all three. She is the innocent, free spirited one of the bunch.
Watching Bill, the lucky husband, trying to manage and satisfy these three is entertaining and a little exhausting. My husband often says having one wife is hard enough, but to manage three....forget it, he'd rather be celibate.
I have chatted with my mom about this show a few times because I find it so interesting. Her take on the whole thing is it's society trying to desensitize us to it, so when we see it become more mainstream we won't be up in arms about it.
Have any of you ever seen it? What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

Bijoux said...

Haven't seen it, but have heard about it. It disturbs me. I read "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop last year. It's her true story about being married to a leader of the FLDS who had many wives. It sickened me and I was so glad that she got away from him in the end.

JodyJ said...

Cocotte- It is disturbing I agree. This show sort of shows a lighthearted side to the idea of mulitple wives. It focuses more on people who willingly choose this life, not those who have no choice.

WAUGDAI said...

I think I sit inline with your mother's views this time! It's amazing how much our society has become desensitized to things. It actually really amazes me some days. To be socially acceptable; one has to be grey in so many areas - how dare you oppose any views presented, why that may make you a bigot! Though I confess myself Jod I have watched this several times, intriqued by the perspective of willingly wanting to partake in such views. You hear alot from the other side - but, this was an interesting take. You are not alone in your draw to chaiotic mess. ;-)

flutterby said...

I've watched a couple times, too. I understand totally why this is a distasteful topic or state of affairs, but... from a human interest perspective, I find it very intriguing (you will not believe how long it took me to get the right spelling on that sucker!!! lol)

Some time ago I read a biography of a polygamist family... people who, granted, had chosen this lifestyle of free will. I guess I have to say that in many ways they seem as equally Normal and Screwed Up as the rest of us.

I wonder what other polygamist families think of this show; if they think it portrays them fairly or accurately? It would be interesting to know.

Followers