Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Growing Pains


Little J has been looking forward to his bath time with his dad for the last few days. The tub is filled up with Superman bubble bath, toys are thrown in and they have a nice relaxing time enjoying a good soak.
After sometime my husband came into the living room to chat with me, I asked how Little J was doing and he told me he was washing himself and he'd be out shortly. Now Little J is 5 years old and he's my baby. Maybe I caudal him more then I should, I admit it, but I usually will wash him, shampoo his hair and help him get into his PJ's. Tonight my husband left him alone to do it all, and we heard about it when he made his way into the living room.
So my little man appears, dressed in PJ's and a robe, smelling clean and looking utterly crushed. He begins by stating that this was his worst bath ever! He was left alone to wash himself, drain the tub and then, AND THEN, he had to dress himself.
Now while his little tirade is going on my husband is hiding his laughter behind a newspaper. I, being the good mommy, sympathize with his outrage and try to comfort him. So I rub his back and tell him he did a great job, even though he's right ticked about it.
My husband, being the practical one, states to my son that he is now 5, he is a big boy and can do this by himself and succeed at it. Of course feeling like a total enabler, I join in with my husband and encourage Little J to do these things for himself because he is a big boy.
I think I baby that boy too much, I know I do, but he's so darn cute. Yes, I know it won't be cute when he's 10 and still expecting me to dress him... I know, I know.

4 comments:

Bijoux said...

There's just something about a little tyke with glasses.....

I was you below last night - awake from 2:30 AM till morning light. I decided during those hours that I need to instill some self help skills in my two younger ones. Wish me luck teaching them how to do the laundry this summer.

JodyJ said...

Cocotte- it's so funny you mention instilling some self help skills in the kids, I was thinking the same thing today. I admit I felt convicted after watching TLC's 17 kids and counting. The mother decided to teach her younger boys how to clean the bathroom and cook. So today the rugrats and I tackled our main bathroom. They did everything I told them to and I must say they did a great job.

flutterby said...

Holy cow... way to go on the bathroom front. That is so awesome, I am impressed. I find it takes just so much energy to oversee that kind of thing, and it's so great that you did it!

Give him a year and it'll be the greatest insult that you would even THINK of helping him.

JodyJ said...

Flutter- Honestly I feel like all I do all day is pick up after these kids. I always know where they have been in the house because they leave a trail.
I figure with the new baby coming they can learn to take more responsibility. We are going to make them clean their own bathroom from now on. I have also been making them mop, vaccuum, dust, shovel and clean up their coat closet. I just don't have the energy anymore, and they do. You know what I think they kind of like it... man I should have done this years ago. :O)

Followers