Tuesday, January 06, 2009

It happened to me

Last year I attended a women's group at a church in my area. It was a great time of fellowship, food and great speakers. There was one speaker in particular, Marlene, who was quirky, cute and had the funniest stories about raising her children.
I have always remembered the time she told about getting stuck in the snow while driving her kids to school. That morning she threw a parka over her housecoat and P.J's, hopped in the vehicle only to get stuck on front of her kid's high school. She told of the horror on her kid's faces as she climbed out of the van, looking crazy, with all their friends watching as she flagged down help.
We all had a great laugh over it, and it has always stuc in my mind to be careful what you wear, you never know.
Well today was the day. I have to say I was dressed but I decided to forgo the socks and boots and just wear my slippers. Everything was fine until we discovered my son had forgotten his snowpants. Seeing that we had a few minutes and that we only live a few blocks from school I decided to pull a U-turn and return home for the snowpants. BIG MISTAKE!!
So there I am stuck, wheels spining, completely cutting off trafic, no mits and slippers. What do I do? So I tell my son to go to school, I hope out of the van and start digging with my hands trying to remove the snow so I can get some traction. By this time five vehicles are at a stop, waiting for me to move my big van and I am not going anywhere. I keep spinning my tires, my feet are frozen as well as my hands. I start to get a momentum going, I feel like I may break free from this ice and snow, and finally, finally a compassionate soul comes and gives me a big push and it's over. I thank her profusley and wave as I drive home taking note I might add that the other vehicles waiting for me to clear the way all are men drivers, not a one asked if I needed help, just waited for me to break free from the snow. Tsk, tsk!
Lesson learned, never leave the house unprepared.

3 comments:

Bijoux said...

I have always had this fear! Just this morning, the sidewalks were icy, so I drove the kids to the bus stop in my pajamas. Fortunately, it's still dark, so if I had to walk home in my pj's, I could do it without anyone seeing me.

So sorry it happened to you! Are you not showing yet? I can't believe those dudes didn't get out to help a pregnant woman :(

JodyJ said...

Cocotte- I think my big winter jacket hid my belly because I am showing. You know I never thought of the whole pregnancy angle.. yeah what IS up with those dudes not helping?? This morning I wore my boots and gloves, just in case :O)

flutterby said...

FOR SHAME AND TSK TSK on those men. What is the deal with that????

You must have been FREEZING with your bare hands in that snow!

Followers