Saturday, January 24, 2009

Is the Grass Greener?


After about one week of warmer temperatures this sudden cold snap that we are experiencing is like a punch in the gut with a big "gotcha" attached to it. For some ridiculous reason the warmer weather had me thinking about spring, excited for all the plans we have for our dirt heap of a backyard. It had me thinking about green grass, a new baby, birds and travel. Well as I said reality was like a cold, harsh slap in the face. Winter is here and still going strong.
Considering the place where I live, and the frigid weather there was nothing to do today but stay huddled up inside racking our brains about what to do to pass the day. There is one conversation I know, without a doubt, that I will be having and it's my husband trying to talk me into possibly moving to a more human climate.
It's funny, as I braced myself for this talk the regular feeling of my back going up, my argument of sticking close to home for family, that this part of Canada is one we are familiar with didn't leave my chapped, almost blue lips.
It almost took me back for a moment. Ever since we've moved to our little town, away from family and close friends, I have been trying to persuade my hubby that moving back at some point would be the best thing for us. I'm not sure I feel that way anymore.
Nothing crazy has happened in our family that makes me want to not live near them. When I really think about it I think it has been a good thing for us to be away. I figure if I can live and survive here, moving someplace further away and warmer would be alright.
So for most of the morning we cuddled together on the couch, hot coffee in hand and researched a few places here in the great north that indeed do have mild winters, hot summers and early springs.
A few areas have jumped out at us and we are looking at taking a road trip this summer to check out the city and surrounding area. A road trip with 2 boys and a 4 month old should be interesting, but we are looking at renting a house for the week once we get there. I am looking forward to it, and looking forward to seeing if the grass is greener.

4 comments:

WAUGDAI said...

I am still dreaming of summer - refusing to give up hope that it is just around the corner! The cold snap - has been like a slap in the face (temporarily freezing my brain!) Soooooo...Tell me, tell me, where are a few of these places? Oh I'm so excited! Family will always be family - close friends will always be there - however - get the heck outta this cold weather, move somewhere enticing for me to follow you...haha!

Bijoux said...

It's a topic that we discuss frequently, but moreso in retirement ideas. For us, we stayed in the area because of the better paying jobs for my spouse.

I have friends who live far from family and their holidays/summer vacations are always spent visiting family out of obligation. So, there's one negative to moving far from family.

I also have a friend who plans to send her kids to college in warmer climates in hopes that the kids will get jobs/meet future spouses elsewhere and it will give her and her husband a good reason to move later on.

JodyJ said...

Waugdai- We are thinking of maybe looking out towards the west coast. We are just in the thinking stage, but I tell you the thought of spring arriving in Februaru...hmmm... YEAH!

Cocotte- At the end of the day one can only go where the job opportunites are, especially in our economy.

flutterby said...

Sounds like a wonderful summer trip! I love the thinking stages of stuff... it can get a bit squicky moving forward from there, but I have no doubt that you and J are up to the challenge. You guys are adventurous and I know that whichever location wins your heart will be lucky to have you guys live there!~

Followers