Monday, January 11, 2010

Spring 2010

" I hate going to school, it's so boring, all we do is sit in our desks, I'm not going."
Those are the words that come out of my 8 year olds mouth almost every morning. These words are followed by tears, and frustration. I, in turn get frustrated because I have to convince, motivate and then threaten, this child to get going so we won't be late. It's not a pretty picture most mornings...
This past year at school has been a rough one. I have received many calls from school about his behavior, he's been disruptive, he's been teasing some of the kids, and he can't seem to sit still.
No one wants to receive these kind of phone calls. I have reminded him almost every morning I drop him off at school to be kind, listen to the teachers, and it seems it's fallen on deaf ears.
After one of the phone calls from school regarding an incident on the playground I tried again to talk to him about what was going on. He said he is tired of always being the one to get into trouble. He again stated that he is very bored at school. I asked him what he was learning in math, he said counting by 2's and 5's. He said mom you know I learned that in Montessori years ago, he then went on to tell me it's too easy and you know I don't like things that are too easy.
At the parent teacher interview I was asked what I thought of his report card, I told then I was a bit disappointed because I know that Noah can do better. The teacher went on to tell me that at this point in the school year all the kids in the class get the exact same grading! WHAT?!?!
Noah was enrolled in Montessori for about 3 years before attending public school. He loved it there. The ability to focus and work on what interested him. To freely move about the classroom, to work with whatever friend he wished, tons of manipulative's to encourage learning. He had glowing progress reports and seemed very content.
I am very concerned about him. I don't tolerate bad behavior, nor am I trying to excuse it away by saying that he is bored. Acting respectfully, being kind, in my mind isn't an option. He is only 8 years old, and maybe he can't really put words to how he's feeling.... Oh, I don't know....

A little background:

My husband was one of those who excelled at school, he too struggled with boredom at school. I have heard countless stories from my mother -in law about how she had to make countless trips to the Principal's office to hear how Jay was acting up at school, tripping kids as they walked by his desk, etc.
It wasn't until one teacher pulled him out of class, put a camera in his hands that his behavior started changing. The school made a developing room for him, taught him how to use the chemicals and he started developing his own photo's.

Anyway through all this jumbled rambling what I am trying to say is we are looking at alternatives forms of education for our kids. Homeschooling has come up many a time and I think we will go ahead with it right after the move this spring. I feel a level of excitement and a level of dread all at the same time. I really believe in homeschooling and all the benefits it has. I have found great curriculum's that involve lot's of projects and hands on materials.
The city we are looking at moving to has a strong homeschooling community. The local university has afternoon science clubs just for homeschoolers and many of the parents have get together's for their kids.
We have informed the children about this, Noah especially is so excited.
I received another phone call from the school the other week. His teacher was calling to inform me that Noah is doing so much better. I told her some things we were doing at home to help keep him stimulated and busy. She then went on to tell me about a conversation she had with Noah a few weeks ago. She said he told her he was afraid of moving, and he felt nervous. She then said she asked him again the other day how he was feeling about the move and this time he told her he was really excited because he was going to be homeschooled.
That made me feel really good. I know there will be good days, bad days and lots of growing pains, but I feel it's a gift that I can give to them.

3 comments:

Bijoux said...

Those are some difficult decisions to make as a parent. I pray that God will direct you in the right direction.

Jennifer Kindle said...

well, you know what I think I'm sure so I'll be praying for you as you guys make these moves and decisions! Sweet Noah.

flutterby said...

Sounds like exciting things are on the horizon! I'm happy for your boys, I'm sure this move will be a good one for your family.

You will be one busy lady, but I know that it will be more than worth it to provide an environment your children can thrive in.

Hugs!

Followers