Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kindness of Strangers


It was one of those day when the weight of being here, feeling isolated and lonely was hitting me hard. Probably because I haven't really seen my husband in the past two weeks due to a heavy work load coupled with facing another L.O.N.G week without him it all just got to me.
I was feeling overwhelmed with the kids, needing someone to talk to since I haven't seen another adult in days and not really knowing anyone I could call. So it was a bad day. To top it off due to my lack of being on top of things I mistakenly took my son to a birthday party at the bowling alley only to find out no one was there because it was the previous day was the icing on the cake. It's been a rough few days needless to say.
Having a very disappointed boy on my hands I went into the house to contact the parents of the birthday boy to apologise for my scattered brain and to ask if we could drop off the gift. We bundled up into the car and headed off.
Isabel, the birthday boys mom, was wonderful. Upon arriving she invited us in for fresh baked cookies. She was extremely warm and engaging. We ended up having a wonderful visit, she invited us to stay for supper with her family and asked if I would like to get together for a visit later in the week.
God sure knows what we need, I won't forget how welcoming this dear lady was and I won't forget how she lifted my spirits and made me feel like I could face going back home to an empty house ( just me and the kids) and finish off another night alone.

"Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day." ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

5 comments:

Jennifer Kindle said...

praying for you.....she was a blessing!!! Thank you, Jesus.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bijoux said...

I felt the same way when we moved to this city and I had a one year old. I was very lonely and even though I was only juggling one kid, she was my difficult child who demanded attention 24/7 (in some ways, she hasn't changed at age 20 - LOL).

Anyway, I feel your pain. You can always gmail chat with me if you are feeling down - I'm usually here during the day!

JodyJ said...

Jen- Thanks for the prayers girl!
Cocotte- I have forgotten how hard little ones can be, you end up feeling quite house bound with them.
Thanks for the kind words, I may take you up on it.

flutterby said...

I have totally done that, too... shown up at the bowling alley on the wrong day/time. I feel your pain. Sheepish cause you messed up, very unhappy kid cause you messed up, worried you offended the birthday kid's parents... (Say it with me, now:) Cause you messed up.

So many creative ways to be hard on oneself. :) You've got a lot on your plate, now, hon... be kind to Yourself.

And, possibly you should take a certain Someone up on their offer to visit and shop. Let someone else cook and clean for ya and bounce the baby. No? Sometimes a change of scenery is good.

Followers