Thursday, November 13, 2008

Troubled

I have had this conversation with many people, this notion keeps running through my head. There are days I try to justify it, think I can limit it, yet I keep being drawn back to this idea. It's nothing deep and intellectual, it's about video games and the role they are playing with today's kids. Most importantly my kids.
I have to admit I like to indulge them, I don't watch our time limit and before you know it my 6 and 4 year old have been gaming for an hour at a time. I have become lethargic, slowly allowing 10 more minutes until hours slip by.
I often will tell my kids about what I used to do with my friends growing up. We were outside all the time. Bike riding, playing kick the can, making forts, just playing. I want that for my kids, and all I see most days is them on the T.V , computer or Nintendo. It's up to me I know, I know it is.
We have been going back and forth about getting our son a D.S. I fought it, but he loves it, and there are educational games, we travel alot and it's something for him to do on those long drives.
Tonight my little 4 year old had another migraine, I try to think about what may be triggering these painful, awful headaches that have him crying, clammy, and vomiting. I often wonder if it's the video games, all the flashing lights,and fast movement.
After a night like tonight I think that for what a Nintendo D.S is worth one could sure buy a lot of toys. Toys that trigger imagination, play and movement. I want my kids to have a childhood full of fantasy, using their minds and bodies to role play. I feel like they are being robbed of that and it bothers me.
I am disturbed tonight.

4 comments:

flutterby said...

Poor little Shnakey, I sure hope he's feeling better this morning.

We got the boys the coolest Chanukah present and it has nothing to do with video games! :D And it's kinda an outside thing, too.

errr... and perhaps a bit messy, too. But it's Outside Mess. I hope that's OK. *wince*

JodyJ said...

How was your weekend.. looking forward to hearing from you , call me

Heidi Jo Comes said...

we have yet to allow the video game industry into our home. neither my husband nor i feel like they are an "evil". just one more pull on our children's time, attention...

it's a tough call. but i have NEVER met anyone who has said this to me: "it (video game) was the best purchase we ever made". until i do, i think we'll keep them out.

congrats on your pregnancy. the shade shirt is divine.

JodyJ said...

Heidi Jo- Nice to hear from you. It has become a pull in our kids lives, and ours also I guess because of the pressure the kids put on you. I suppose you have to ask yourself who is the parent.
Anyway I am gonna check out the shirts, I don't know if it will look as cute on my as it shows on the ad. :O)

Followers