Friday, November 21, 2008

Ticked

This has happened a few times when I've taken my two young boys to the grocery store. As I am going to pay for our items I notice them pointing and commenting on how gross "something" is. They are at eye level with either a men's magazine or an exercise magazine with a scantily clad woman striking a provocative pose.
Now I am not a prude, I know sex sells. What I am opposed to is my two innocent children having to be eyeball to eyeball with some 18 year old baring all.
I complained at one 7-11 store, we called the head office and they apologised and the next time we frequented the establishment it was covered by a plastic shield. So good for them, I guess.

4 comments:

Bijoux said...

Actually, good for you for speaking up! I'm not sure my kids ever noticed anything but the gum and candy bars.

The more people that complain about this stuff, the less we have to deal with it. So thanks!

And I hope you enjoyed your coffee :)

JodyJ said...

Cocotte- Thank goodness for the chocolate and gum, I used that to distract them as I quickly turn the magazine over so it's out of view.
I agree with you and hope the more we make a fuss the more they will start to realize how inappropriate it is. P.S 7-11 coffee, divine! :O)

flutterby said...

The Kid as of yet seems to not notice these things as the candy and chocolate still mesmorize him. The Princess however? I am so very conscious, not only of the pictures on the mags, but also the tarty articles advertised on the front. Some of them are so vulgar! And, when I look at them through eyes of innocence and not the jaded, calloused ones I've acquired after living in this society for so long... it is astounding the levels of indecency described in plain view. I'm thinking of Cosmo and the like.

Anyhow, I'm proud of you for speaking up. It honestly never occured to me that doing so could effect any change, so I've just worked at keeping the Princess' eyes elsewhere. But, maybe I'll be more vocal, too.

JodyJ said...

Flutter-Sis: In the end I think we have to, it irritates me so much that these magazines are pushing the boudaries of what I want my kids exposed to. In the end I mostly blame the store for putting them at eye level with kids. Do you think it could maybe be on purpose?? SICK!

Followers