Friday, March 07, 2008

Things that make you go Hmmmm....

I remember growing up beside a a young East Indian family. This family had all sorts of relatives who lived with them. I became friends with the two oldest daughters, Hosheila and Pretti. We played together all the time, mostly in their basement with a big cardboard box. We would line it with blankets and one of us would hop in while the other two would flip the box this way and that. It was a great time and we all took turns getting a 'ride.'
We spent a lot of time together, I especially enjoyed eating with them. Obviously I had never been exposed to this kid of rich, spicy, savory food. It looked different then my kind of food, definitely smelled different and that's why I think I liked it so much. I would always stay as long as I could at their house, hoping to be invited for supper, which I always was. If I ever couldn't stay they would send me home with a little. I remember my family always saying what are you eating now?? I really developed a palate for this exotic food.

Skip ahead 25 years, I am married to a West Indian man, I can out do his family, and extended family, with my tolerance for the hot and spicy. When I look back on my early years, spending all my time at Horsheila and Pretti's house I wonder if it maybe was a little foreshadow of my future.

1 comment:

flutterby said...

I remember when I first met you, Jody... the fridge was stocked with at least 5 varieties of hot sauces. I knew then I was meeting one hot little tamale!

Followers