Thursday, April 16, 2009

April 8th, 2009 - A Look Back


The events of this day as I remember them....
I awoke around 6am with slight contractions, nothing that really hurt just enough to make me uncomfortable. I puttered around for the morning and it seemed if I sat still all contractions stopped yet the minute I walked around I would feel one come on. This is how the day went on until around 5pm when things picked up.
I was feeling so torn because my boys had an award ceremony at their kids club this night. My kids were being given awards and there was a little tea for all the parents, both my husband and I really wanted to go. Considering that whenever I sat still I felt ok we decided to try. We took two vehicles, my mother in-law was down so she drove the kids in one car and we took another. I told my husband to pack my suitcase in the van just in case we had to leave early to go to the hospital.
We arrived at the kids banquet and as I was stepping out of the vehicle to go in I was hit with another strong contraction. I decided then and there to head straight for the hospital.
I could barely walk the hall to the women's ward when I was hit with another, a paramedic came with a wheelchair and I was brought into be examed.
I was told I was in early labour and that I could either stay or go. I decided to stay because I wanted to ensure I would get an epidural.
Little FYI- in my town there is only 2 epidural pumps, it's first come first serve and I didn't want to miss out. I found out later that only 1 pump was working and a lady next to me had it. I was FREAKING out!!! I kept telling the nurse I was promised by my doctor to get an epidural, I specifically told my doc that I would travel to another city to get an epidural if need be, she knew how important it was to me. My doc came into the room and assured me that the anesthetist would work something out. He came in and said he was trying to rig something up with another pump. All that being said I got my epidural and felt so relieved.
Unfortunately the epidural on numbed half of my body. The doc kept uping the dose, he gave me so much meds my blood pressure dropped severly and I almost passed out. Consequently I felt almost all contractions which really sucked but he could'n't give me anything else. Knowing that, I asked for laughing gas to take the edge off.
During all this I needed to go to the bathroom. I couldn't walk so they gave me a bedpan, now tell me who can pee laying down with people all in the room chatting, not me. So they decided to give me a catheder which I HATE, it always hurts and this time was no exception. I had had enough at this point and started to get emotional, she quickly broke my water after and then things really progressed, quick!
Within minutes I felt the need to push, I told them that, and they told me to wait until the doc comes. Yeah, RIGHT! I wasn't waiting so I told them I was pushing and the nurse better get ready.
After about 3 pushes she was out laying on my chest. RELIEF!!
We spent one night in the hospital and then booked it home. So here we are all better, healing up and moving on with life.
Our little girl is perfect, sweet and beautiful! Her brother's love, love, love her and are spoiling her already.

6 comments:

Bijoux said...

Wasn't it great to have to push just a few times?? Sounds like things really moved quickly and that it wasn't THAT bad! So happy for all of you. I'm picturing all that gorgeous dark hair being surrounded by your boys and their gorgeous heads of hair. Too cute!

JodyJ said...

Cocotte- I am grateful she appeared after only a few pushes, that's for sure!
Yes she has some hair', I can't wait until it's long enough to put a clip in... oh a girl is going to be sooooo much fun!

WAUGDAI said...

1, 2, 3 - you're out!

Too funny - so much drama - drama queen must have her epidermal - come on - wasn't it you who wanted to have the babes at home in the tub? ya big baby! ;-)

-oh I find myself way to amusing when over tired!-

JodyJ said...

waugdai- look here missy until YOU experience labour in all it's glory NOT A PEEP!!

WAUGDAI said...

;-) Love ya J!

flutterby said...

I, too, consider a bedpan one of life's inconceivable mysteries. Just not gonna happen.

:)

I loved hearing about you taking charge in the delivery -- sorry girls, but I'm pushing NOW. tee hee. Made me smile!

Can't wait to finally meet this lil pumpkin.

Followers