Sunday, December 04, 2005

Why December 25th?

A few Facts I found interesting:
1. In Judea in the month of December it is cold and rainy, shepherds would not be in the field.
The Complete Book of American Holidays, Luke's account "suggests that Jesus may have been born in summer or early fall. Since December is cold and rainy in Judea, it is likely the shepherds would have sought shelter for their flocks at night" (p. 309).
2. Jesus' parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4). Such censuses were not taken in winter, when temperatures often dropped below freezing and roads were in poor condition. Taking a census under such conditions would have been self-defeating.
Knowing these facts why do we hold onto our old beliefs? Is it traditions of man? Is the cost too high to think that maybe, just maybe we've been wrong all these years?
I was watching 100 Huntley St. They were talking about Christmas and how they know that is has pagan roots, but that we as the Church have redeemed it. That use to be my answer too when my parents came to me telling me it was pagan. I don't think I truly understood what pagan meant at the time, nor did I think it was a big deal to keep celebrating it since we were putting a "Christian twist"on the holiday.
God challenged me, I remember thinking, why am I trying to redeem something that is full of evil rather then participating in what He has commanded me to celebrate in order to honor Him?
Isaiah 29:13 "The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor Me with their lips but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men."
Shalom~

No comments:

Followers