Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Someone's Growing Up!


I can honestly say I have had this same fight for the past 4 years. It's the odd morning when my 7 year old son will get out of bed, on time, put a smile on his face and get ready with no trouble.
We have had all out yelling wars in the morning trying to get this boy from his warm bed to school on time. I have gone in with the best of intentions, put a sing-songy voice on, gave him multiple reminders that it's time to arise and start the day. It's not long, say after 10 reminders, that my patience is at a low as I see the clock continuing to move ahead and my lazy son is still trying to get out of bed.
I have grounded him, taken away favorite toys, nothing really seems to work, or work for long anyway until we are back to square one.
Since our daughter has been born my husband has taken on the glorious role of getting our son out of bed in the morning. For a while, due to the novelty, he would get out of bed no problem making me think he reserves his truly wonderful behavior for yours truly. I would be drowsy in bed, from an eventful night of breastfeeding, listening to the happy voices of my kids and husband getting the day started. Well, at least I am getting a sleep in, I think to myself.
One morning I am awakened to the impatient voice of my husband once again telling our son to get a move on. This morning the voices aren't too happy, a little smile comes across my face thinking to myself now he knows what my mornings have been like for too many years.
Later that day when my son returns from school my husband informs him there are going to be some changes around here. He then informs him, and me for that matter, that an alarm is going to be set in the boys room. It is going to be our sons responsibility to get up, dress himself, brush his teeth all before 7:45am. If this isn't done on time he will be grounded after school from playtime with his pals. After his teeth are brushed he is to get his dad up to make him breakfast.
Well, let's just say I had my doubts.
Our boy has been doing this for about a week now and he is doing great. I heard him this morning, as the whole house was asleep, he turned off the alarm, got himself dressed, teeth brushed and went and woke daddy up to make him breakfast.
I'm proud of the boy and grateful to my husband for pushing him to grow up a bit and get some things done himself.

7 comments:

Bijoux said...

Ok - first of all - how could you ever be angry with a boy with that face?? How gorgeous is he??

Middle Child used to have the same problem and the alarm clock seemed to do the trick too!

JodyJ said...

Cocotte- I'll admit the kids a looker, he knows it also :O)
It has really surprised me that the alarm clock thing works for him, but it does so YAY!!

flutterby said...

And I suppose J is walking around all smug and full of himself now that he's solved this, huh?? :D

Super cool solution and extra special nephew. High five to the big boy for doing so well with the new arrangements. With any luck it will be the dawn of a new day in your household! (OK, so that was a super lame pun.)

:)

JodyJ said...

Flutter- You called it, the way he is strutting around you'd think he solved world hunger :O)

WAUGDAI said...

Odd how a little responsibility can do wonders!! Hey - still waiting on my call! ;-) Next set off starts Monday! Just saying is all... no pressures! tee hee.

Anonymous said...

Poppa knows best! That's the same way I fixed the issue with our little darlings when they was young-uns, and it worked wonders. In fact, after a couple years they stopped waking me up and just made their own breakfast. And packed their own lunches!

The man has every right to feel good, says I. Here's hoping it lasts! It might be that one or the other of our daughters fought this at one time or another. Just maybe. But not likely.

JodyJ said...

Xavier- Ok, I am SO hoping that my kids will follow and start making their own lunches and getting themselves off to school. Something to look forward to :O)

Followers