Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thankful

It's sad that it takes loss and hardship to wake us up, to shake us from the running of everyday life, to slow down and remember what we Do have. It's easy to get negative, to grumble and complain about the dog dragging in dirt, the kids acting up, the husband who leaves his underwear on the bathroom floor, the mountain of dirty dishes that you chip away at daily, yet never get caught up on. Yes the list could go on and on, and we each have our lists.
Someone very close to me is going through a separation. He often talks about missing his children, how he keeps their bedroom doors closed because it's too painful to walk pass because they aren't in them, and when he does venture in it's to smell their pillows. This is truly heartbreaking loss. As we were speaking today, my little guys came to me and whispered that they wanted to make a volcanoe and would I help. I shushed them and asked them to wait because I was on the phone talking. (Now they had interrupted me a few times already so my patience was at a low) upon resuming my conversation I stated I should go and my brother said, 'hey at least your kids are with you.'
That phrase has been running through my head, reminding me to be thankful they are here, that we are at the stage in life that we are in.
So I am trying to put aside the frustrations of life as a stay at home mom to two boys and a dirty puppy. To over look the underwear in the bathroom, and to happily chip away at the dishes.

No comments:

Followers