Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Will you 'Passover' on two opinions??

The Feast of Unleavened Bread is quickly approaching. What used to be a time of buying chocolate bunnies and picnic hams is now a time of preparation and reflection.
I found this article from www.messianichome.org I enjoyed reading it and decided to post it. I would love to hear your thoughts.


No longer is the emphasis of Passover on an animal sacrifice that needs to be offered year after year in the Temple. Now our focus is on what Messiah has accomplished for us. Bread and wine are not required to be offered in the Temple. They are available to each of us at any time in our homes and congregations.
Each Friday night as we enter into the Sabbath, we offer up prayers along with the bread and wine. “Blessed are You, YHWH our God, King of the Universe, who brings forth bread from the earth.” On a weekly basis we are reminded of Y’shua’s(Jesus) sacrifice for us through the symbology of the Bread of Life and the earth and grave. On an annual basis, we eat only unleavened bread during Passover as we remember the death of Messiah at Passover and His resurrection on Firstfruits. The unleavened bread reminds us of the sinless Lamb that was raised from the dead. “But now is [Messiah] risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.” (1 Cor. 15:20)
As YHWH is writing His Torah on our hearts, we find ourselves needing to change our approaches to our worship. How we celebrate the Messiah’s death and resurrection to more fully honor Him is one of the places where we are to “be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” (Romans 12:2)
If differing opinions are calling you to something other than what the Father’s perfect will is for you, here is a question from the prophet Elijah for you to consider: “And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions?” (1 Kings 18:21) The word halt in the above passage is the Hebrew word “pesach” which is the same word translated as “pass over” in Ex. 12:13: “when I see the blood, I will pass over you.” So the question may be asked, “How long will you Passover between two opinions?” Keeping Passover as the season of Messiah’s death and resurrection is the Biblical, Torah-honoring thing to do because it is a feast of the Lord. Keeping Easter as prescribed by the church is conformed to this world’s understanding and misses the mark of YHWH’s purpose. Fertility goddess celebrations involving eggs does not honor the Lamb of God. Keeping Passover just as prescribed by the synagogue and oral tradition of the rabbis (which also includes the egg) is vain without the understanding of Messiah Y’shua. Today we are to heed the voice of Elijah crying in the wilderness. “Prepare the way of the Lord.”

2 comments:

WAUGDAI said...

Interesting read Skarr (bet you haven't heard that in a while-haha). You keep asking me what I'm questioning of late.. well here are some things;

An example: How we celebrate Easter. I'm not sure I understand your statement; "Keeping Easter as prescribed by the church is conformed to this world’s understanding and misses the mark of YHWH’s purpose. Fertility goddess celebrations involving eggs does not honor the Lamb of God. Keeping Passover just as prescribed by the synagogue and oral tradition of the rabbis (which also includes the egg) is vain without the understanding of Messiah Y’shua. Today we are to heed the voice of Elijah crying in the wilderness. “Prepare the way of the Lord.”" - I've never been one to celebrate with eggs at Easter (though I do like eating the chocolate eggs that come out..haha) yet it has nothing to do with a celebration of my Saviour. Similar to at Christmas or Haloween - I benefit from society's marketing of seasoned goodies.. yet it's not a celebration or an adhering to those ways. I guess what I'm questioning here is an example...

I wonder as the 'church' if I must seperate us... is how much are we missing in removing traditions from our past. I love attending older churches with liturgy and even catholic taze prayers.. there is something in the old ways (if one is to call it that) that we miss in our attempt to modernize our church to society. I question of late to what degree we are trying to be culturally relevant that we are missing the mark on our journey of pursuing holiness and truth.

I question things such as in our attempts to evangelize, if we were genuinely sincere in our attempts to pursue Him deeper that that alone would be enough of a significant witness... instead I honestly feel that we as 'the church' often get to caught up on saving the world that we forget the simplicity of applying biblical truths and foundations to our lives and allowing ourselves to walk out Christ within us - therefore experiencing both transformation within our selves and others.

I question where along the way we lost some of our interpretation. In our attempt to make sure everyone confesses His name.. so what God is big enough to reveal Himself... though albeit I may be used as a vessel - what an honor. Yet, I think somewhere we've lost part of our history - ya know? Part of our individual sense of digging deeper versus sugar coating certain truths or foundations in order to be more relevant....

I question your ways... I hate how that sounds but it's true. I'm not sure that either or has it right... never have felt that way. I think there is much to be pulled along the way. Not changing or fine tuning truth, but as Gandhi said.. rather just growing from truth to truth.

I question what appears to many of our peers, the radicalness of the messianic jewish way.. does that make sense? It's not a knock.. its a simple wondering.. I want to know more, to understand more. I appreciate much and am challenged deeply. Guess that's why I love talking to you so much and hearing your journey. It stretches me as it stretches you. ;-)

k.. I'm done for a bit, I wrote much on here..maybe shoulda been an email...haha. We'll talk more. I liked your post today - good read.

flutterby said...

Look forward to seeing you for Passover!

Followers